WELCOME to the Official Blog of the 2011 National Amateur, June 19-25, brought to you by the Retriever News, written by Vickie Lamb, and sponsored by Purina and Avery. We hope you enjoy these multi-daily updates, held this year in Ronan, Montana. Enjoy your stay and come back often!
Jun 17, 2011
Jun 18, 2011
Jun 19, 2011
Jun 20, 2011
Jun 21, 2011
Jun 22, 2011
Jun 23, 2011
Jun 24, 2011
Jun 25, 2011
Jun 27, 2011
Jun 30, 2011
Monday, June 20, 2011
URGENT--BIG CHANGES IN TOMORROW'S PLANS
Test Four will NOW Be HELD at John Pampy's property.
Worker's Caravan leaves HQ at 5:30 a.m.
Contestant Caravan leaves HQ at 6:00 a.m. First TWENTY DOGS should be in the caravan. Dog #9 starts this next test.
TEST DOGS WILL BEGIN RUNNING at 7:30 a.m.
CALLBACKS FOR TEST FOUR
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 56, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 67, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
95 DOGS BACK
31 and 68 were dropped
Dog #9 STARTS THE FOURTH SERIES
... dismantling the test site. Workers make the National go round.
The Last Dog Has Run...
... The last dog being #95, Zoom (FC-AFC's Joey's Zoom Zoom) and Jim Carlisle. And we are wrapping up for the day. More information coming later tonight.
Another Dog Over the Hill...
... out of sight for #81, just after the re-bird
ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEXT TEST
Series Four will begin tomorrow with test dogs beginning at 6:45 a.m.
Tonight, directions for the new test site will be posted in the lower lobby of Headquarters. Callbacks will be posted in the lower lobby and on the internet when they become available.
Ouch. Out of sight at the end...
... for #68, who was the first dog to run in this National yesterday for the first setup. Now, he's got the bird.
This is the last test for today.
Further announcements will be forthcoming.
Another Re-Bird is currently in progress...
... And handlers and spectators are invited to the line.
We are up to #34...
... Still similar conditions to the last update.
A bit of a change...
... The wind seems to be swirling out toward the end of the blind. Sometimes it's an "in your face" wind as well. But, the wind seems to have picked up, and this is causing more casts in the last third of the blind in going up the hill. Currently, #27 is running.
Re-Bird in Progress... Chance to View the Test
During re-birds on this blind, handlers and other interested retriever enthusiasts have an opportunity to get a close look at this third series water blind.
Most of the work has been quite similar, and for the most part, good.
Sizzler... #113 Hawk...
... went 3/4 of the blind without a whistle... two at the end.
Jack has just picked up the bird...
... #109, for Liz Jerome. This should help (I hope) in giving a time reference. Am trying to get a variety of photos as we go.
Action Will Be Moving Right Along...
... With this blind. Most likely updates will be in general summaries and not dog by dog. In addition, I'll be taking lots of photos with very little opportunity to download and upload until later. Please bear with me on those aspects! Thanks and good luck to everyone still in contention.
First Running Dog...
... Currently on line. Lynne DuBose, #96 with FC-AFC Great Bunns of Fire (JerryLee) is handling on the blind.
The First Test Dog For Test Three ...
... Came to line at 11:14 a.m. This looks like it will be a three minute test..
97 dogs are still in contention
CALLBACKS TO TEST THREE
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 56, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 88, 89, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
STARTING DOG FOR TEST 3 is #96
... FC-AFC Great Bunns of Fire
Conference on Callbacks...
...As the three judges make final decisions following the conclusion of tests one and two.
... is in progress for a short move to the next test, which is a water blind.
Kimber snatched up the flyer...
... on the run. Then, Kimber (#67, FC-AFC Kimber VIII) went out and made equally dazzling work of her retired mark. And a nice blind!
LAST DOG--NO BIRD--NO SIX DOGS TO WAIT
Oh well. Kimber doesn't get to run after six dogs... there aren't any, not a one. So, here she comes, back up to the line.
What a nice job for #65, FC-AFC Trumarc's Whistling Bird and handler Yvonne Hays. With a really nice flyer and a superb retired bird, she also had a tidy blind.
Mootsie had an excellent flyer...
... #58, FC-AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator then hunted just deep of the retired bird before coming up with it. She's got the blind.
Sugar went high and down... HANDLE
...into her flyer, and then she (FC-AFC Shadows Sweet Something) went a bit wide of the retired and deep, about to enter the wheat, when Mark Medford handled her back to the shorter bird.
With a very good flyer...
... Miah (FC-AFC Bayou Teche Miah) went deep before getting the retired bird, and had a very nice blind for Stephen Ritter.
A beautiful flyer mark for #62--Straight
... That would be Lucyana's Full Speed Ahead and Laura Parrott. Straight went up to the holding blind on the retired and then quickly down to the bird. Straight also had a very nice blind.
|Laura gets down in the final holding blind as #61 runs the land blind|
.... Marv Baumer with FC-AFC Sureshot's Texas Hold'Em (Dealer) had an okay flyer and then went deep around and down to the retired mark. He was one of several dogs that have been left of the evergreen tree that is nearly on line to the blind.
Very nice flyer for #60...
... that would be Saber (FC-AFC Tealcreek Patton's Saber) and Chris Hatch. He then had a hunt that included the wheat on the retired, and a nice blind.
... went behind the flyer guns and then down with a short hunt to the bird. On the retired he had quite a hunt around the blind and then got the retired bird. This was #59, FC-AFC Nebo's Onyx Tornado, and Al Wilson.
No-Bird on Retired for #58
After a big flyer hunt...
... Diva (#56, AFC Waterdogs Iron Diva and John Stracka) had a nice retired. The blind had a bit of difficulty at the end but was okay. It looked as though Diva wasn't able to pick out John very well.
OUCH. Unfortunately, a switch...
... Lumpy (#55, AFC-CAFC Maxfly's Lumpy) established a hunt in the flyer area but left, getting near the retired area... so handler Jerry Younglove attempted to handle him back into the flyer. He got the retired bird, and has been excused from the test.
Add Another Dog to Scratches...
The scratches now include 30, 42, 54, 57 and 66.
Unfortunately, Lassie (FC-AFC Atlasta Winner) injured her shoulder when jumping out of the truck... We're reminded that anything can happen, at any time, and that these dogs are athletes that sustain injuries from all aspects of activity.
Pulling up a bit short...
... and commencing a flyer hunt in and around the near ditch has happened frequently this morning, and was the case also with #53, AFC Coolwater's Knockout (Punch) as he then went up and got the bird, and came back with a pretty nice retired mark and a good blind.
Jean Wu with #52...
... Jacki (AFC Huntersbest Sapphire Jubilee) ... She hunted the mound and then into the flyer, and had an extensive hunt on the retired mark.
Pop--Handle on the retired mark...
... for #51, FC SML Stella's Got Her Groove (Stella) and David Didier. She had a substantial hunt on the flyer, and is now negotiating the blind.
#50 has a flyer hunt, now heading for...
... the retired mark, and goes up between the bird and the blind before quickly scooping it up. This is AFC Sister Bertrille (Bertie) and Ron Ainley.
Windy Blows Through This Test...
... #49 has an excellent flyer and a very good retired mark, and makes quick work of the blind.
Sizzling Work for #48!
... Windy City's Mighty Mouse (Mickey) and Charlie Hines just laid one down... marks and blind!
Lil has all three...
... #47, AFC Lil Chin Music and Charlene Loeth, went left and had a respectable hunt on the flyer, and then had a pretty good mark on the retired and a nice blind.
After one of those deep and back in retireds...
... for #46, FC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan (Al) drove through the retired area and swooped around right into his flyer for handler Bob Hayden. He's got his blind.
Willie's in the clubhouse...
A flyer hunt began just short of the ditch for #45, AFC KPR's Wet Willie and Jim Pickering, and he had an excellent retired mark... and a decent blind.
Going deep and coming back...
... several dogs have done so this morning, running for the flyer and getting beyond the retired area and then returning to the retired bird. Reagan (#44, AFC Citori's Vista 40th Pres and Michael Moore) just did the same. She ended up with a pretty clean retired upon entering the area, and went in left for the flyer with a bit of a hunt. She's got the blind.
Nice work for Fizz...
... #38, FC-AFC Hardscrabble Carbunnation... and Judy Rasmuson.
Many dogs are going left this morning...
... for the flyer. Aero (#37, FC-AFC Landover's Right On Target with David Furin) did the same and wound up with a pretty clean flyer, and then had a very good mark on the retired bird. He also had a good blind.
Haylee is Handling...
... After a long hunt all over the flyer, Haylee (FC-AFC Chatanika's High Water Haylee and Thomas Wilkerson) was able to recover it. However, right now she is handling on the retired bird from well deep of it. She has the bird, and is now about to the blind.
JR has nice marks...
... AFC-CFC-CAFC Calumet's Mein Soupster had a good flyer and an excellent retired bird for handler Sharon Gierman; he went left of the evergreen for the blind... as a point of reference.
Cane in Reverse Order...
... Dog #41, FC-AFC Ragin Eye of the Storm seemed en route to the flyer when he zoomed back to the right and had a short hunt on the retired bird in the area. He then went left into the flyer and when he appeared, had a short hunt on it. He's got the blind...
First dog to the line... just before 7 a.m.
Dog #40, AFC Red Butte's Tiger Lilly and Joseph Taylor. Currently, Lilly has popped and is now resuming a hunt... after a big hunt, recovered the flyer second.
This Morning's Early Running Order...
... 40, 41, 43, 36, 37, 38, 44, 45, 46... and then so on... Good Luck to everyone
Test Dog Promptly at 6:45 a.m.
... Barbara Furlano and Wilson (FC-AFC Chippewa Wilson)
It's A New Morning...
... With a hint of good things to come...
To Our Sponsors
1. AFC Carbons Blue Pursuit, LM
2. AFC Robbers' Stray Bullet, LM
3. FC-AFC Hoot N Holler, LM
4. Mjolnir's There And Back Again, LM
5. FC Wood River's Duck Tucker, LM
6. AFC The Blueprint, LM
7. FC-CFC LKY's Controlled Burn, LM
8. FC-AFC Land Ahoy, LM
9. Windy City's Bent Tail, LM
10. FC-AFC Fat City Pacer, LM
11. NAFC-FC Fourleaf's Ice Breaker, LM
12. FC-AFC Suncrest Wild Oats, LM
13. FC-AFC Paddy Kate's Slick Mick, LM
14. FC-AFC Volwood's Big Ol' Rex, LM
15. FC-AFC Watuaga's Bull Gator, LM
16. AFC Third Creek's Big Stick, LM
17. NFC-AFC Hunter Runs BooBoo, LM
18. FC-AFC Foxfires Slight Of Hand, LM
19. Catalina's Trumarc, LF
20. FC-AFC Bayou-Star Beyond Independent, GM
21. FC-AFC Jet Black Bustin Thru The Brush, LM
22. Salt Marsh Ready Aim Flyer, GM
23. FC-AFC Weezer Retreezer, LM
24. FC Westwoods Iron Man, LM
25. FC-AFC Wolf Creek CR Skeeter, LM
26. Sonmar's Mo Cash, LM
27. FC-AFC Vinwood's Don't Look Ethel, LF
28. AFC Un Petit Peu Canaille, LF
29. AFC Invinceability, LM
30. AFC Cuda's Negra Modelo MH, LF
31. FC-AFC Sanpitch River Shore Thing, LM
32. FC-AFC Pure Labs Skys The Limit, LM
33. FC Silvertip's I Hope So, LF
34. FC-AFC Trumarc's Stormin Norman II, LM
35. In The Hunt Farm's Executive Sweet, LF
36. FC-AFC Chatanika's High Water Haylee, LF
37. FC-AFC Landover's Right On Target, LM
38. FC-AFC Hardscrabble Carbunnation, LF
39. Candlewoods Commander And Chief, LM
40. AFC Red Butte's Tiger Lilly, LF
41. FC-AFC Ragin Eye Of The Storm, LM
42. Trulines Walla Walla Sweet, LF
43. AFC-CFC-CAFC Calumet`s Mein Soupster, LM
44. AFC Citori's Vista 40th Pres, LF
45. AFC KPR's Wet Willie, LM
46. FC Big Alfonse Capone Of Mo-Kan, LM
47. AFC Lil Chin Music, LF
48. Windy City's Mighty Mouse, LM
49. NFC-AFC Candlewood's Something Royal, LF
50. AFC Sister Bertrille, LF
51. FC SML Stella's Got Her Groove, LF
52. AFC Huntersbest Sapphire Jubilee, LF
53. AFC Coolwater's Knockout, LM
54. AFC Jazztime's Dust Devil Max, LM
55. AFC-CAFC Maxfly's Lumpy, LF
56. AFC Waterdogs Iron Diva, LF
57. FC-AFC Atlasta Winner, LF
58. FC-AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator, LF
59. FC-AFC Nebo's Onyx Tornado, LM
60. FC-AFC Tealcreek Patton's Saber, LM
61. FC-AFC Sureshot's Texas Hold'Em, LM
62. Lucyana's Full Speed Ahead, LM
63. FC-AFC Bayou Teche Miah, LF
64. FC-AFC Shadows Sweet Something, LF
65. FC-AFC Trumarc's Whistling Bird, LF
66. FC Tiger Mtn's Hokulele, LM
67. AFC Kimber VIII, LF
68. Candlewoods Aphrodites Jazz, LF
69. FC-AFC Lanes Lets Get Ready To Rumble, LM
70. AFC Candlewoods Brother Aaron, LM
71. Wolf River's HD Duramax, LM
72. FC-AFC Volwood's Angel, LF
73. FC-AFC Premier's Iron Man Ozzy, LM
74. FC-AFC Dominators Duke Of Turrell, LM
75. FC Nightwings Marsh Leader, LM
76. Yakity's Shake Rattle 'N' Roll, CF
77. FC-AFC Widgeon's Carbon Chip, LM
78. AFC Waquoit Bay's Lone Arranger, LM
79. FC-AFC Castlebay's Night Robber, LM
80. Watermark's The Black Pearl, LF
81. FC-AFC-CNFC-CAFC Taylorlab Calumet's Big Blue, LM
82. Phyllo Farms Mischief Maker, LM
83. FC-AFC Candlewood GoldenDaze Louie, LM
84. Glen Lake F4d Phantom MH, LF
85. FC-AFC Cody Cut A Lean Grade, LM
86. FC-AFC Nick Of Time Wild Wind Dusty, LM
87. FC-AFC-CFC-CAFC Runnin's Molly B, LF
88. FC-AFC Jazztime Hanging Chad, LM
89. Maple Creek's Mattie Mae, LF
90. Fargo's Rising River, LF
91. FC-AFC Sureshot's TKO, LM
92. AFC Flyway's Ruby B. Gonia, LF
93. FC-AFC Downtown Buster Brown XXXI, LM
94. FC-AFC Waterdogs Shock And Awe, LM
95. FC-AFC Joey's Zoom Zoom JH, LM
96. FC-AFC-Great Bunns Of Fire, LF
97. FC-AFC Badger State Ram Kicker, LM
98. FC-AFC Eva-Ethyl Proby-Weber, LF
99. Jazztime Bluegoose's Skatch, LM
100. FC-AFC Citori's Accept No Substitute, LF
101. Tweed's Rough Rider, LM
102. AFC Jamestown's Super Spud, LF
103. AFC Watermark's Shadow Dancer, LF
104. FC Hardscrabble Roxie McBunn, LF
105. FC-AFC Lil Mac's Black River Rabbit, LF
106. Good Idea's Dream On, LF
107. Ironweeds High Bird Shooter, LF
108. Rockliffs Justdoit, LM
109. AFC Just Deal Me A Jack MH, LM
110. AFC Coolwater's Storm Chaser, LF
111. FC-AFC Trumarc's L'il Ms Pogo, LF
112. FC-AFC-CFC-CAFC Adams Acres Muddy Creek, LM
113. FC Counterpoint's Sidekick, LM
114. FC-AFC Texanna Yellow Gold MH, LF
115. FC-AFC Nebo's Grandma Ruby, LF